One of my favourite chocolate bars is Bounty, it’s been a favourite for many years now but it has never crossed my mind that I could make them myself. However recently I came across a post on facebook with a recipe and thought I would have a go. So I thought I would share it with you.
To make your homemade Bounty Bars you will need:
200g of desiccated Coconut
A tin of Condensed Milk
200g of chocolate – milk, dark or even white if you like. I used milk chocolate.
You will also need some greaseproof paper, a baking sheet, a bowl, a spoon, a second bowl, boiling water to melt the chocolate over.
1. Add the desiccated coconut and the condensed milk to a bowl
2. Mix together and ensure it is mixed through.
3. Line your baking tray with greaseproof paper.
4. With clean hands take handfuls of the coconut and condensed milk mix and shape into bars. Then place on the lined tray.
5. Put the tray into the fridge until the bars become firm. They won’t set but will hold their shape. I left mine for two hours and turned over half way.
6. Break the chocolate up into a clean bowl and melt over a pan of boiling water. Alternatively you could heat in a microwave but ensure you take out every 10 seconds to stir.
7. Then take the bars from the fridge and carefully spoon the melted chocolate over the bars. This is very messy! I also tried lowering the bars on a spatula into the melted chocolate but this is just as messy.
8. Place the chocolate covered bars back on the lined tray and put back in the fridge to set.
9. After and hour I took the bounty bars off the tray and turned over, placing them on a plate before returning to the fridge for a further half an hour.
This was my first attempt at homemade Bounty Bars and it was very messy. I need to work out a way to cover the coconut completely with chocolate. Maybe covering one side first and leaving to set before turning and covering the second side. They made not look uniform or tidy but they are certainly delicious.